Bachelor of dental surgery and BDS colleges in Bangalore
Duration : 5 years
Eligibility : 10+2 ( Physics Chemistry & Biology, and NEET eligible )
Type : Degree
Bachelor of Dental Surgery or BDS is the most sort-after and highly paid medical degree after MBBS. The 4 years undergraduate course is followed by a 1-year internship(mostly paid). In India upon course completion, only the dentists registered with the dental council of India will be allowed to practice. The National Eligibility test or the Entrance Test (NEET-UG) is the common entrance conducted for BDS admissions. BDS colleges train students to acquire knowledge regarding general skills and concepts related to dental practices. This dentistry course educates the students about various treatments such as Dental Materials, Oral Medicine and Radiology, Pedodontics, Surgical Procedures, Dental Anatomy, Oral Pathology, and Community Dentistry. This course is available in full-time and part-time modes. Plenty of career choices are available for students after completion of BDS. Though the most common choice is to start a career as a dentist, students can also practice as consultants or choose a teaching career. For higher studies apart from MDS graduates can also opt for specialization like MPH (Masters in Public Health) or MHA (Masters in Hospital Administration).
The most popular career option among Bachelor of Dental Surgery or BDS graduates becomes a qualified dentist or an orthodontist. The initial average pay of an orthodontist is 5.5 lakhs per annum. A dentist earns an initial pay of 3-5 Lacs per annum. The key responsibilities of a graduate in Dental surgery include:
- Educating patients on oral health and care.
- Examining dental conditions using tools such as x-rays.
- Assessing treatment options and preparing treatment plans suitable for the patients.
- Carry out clinical treatments such as treating gum diseases performing a root canal etc.
- Maintaining patients' dental records.
- Recruiting, training and managing staff.
- Overseeing budgets and maintaining stocks of equipment.
Some of the top government and management run medical institutions offer a bachelor of dental surgery. BDS colleges in Bangalore are some of the best institutions offering courses in dentistry. The eligibility criteria and admission procedures are mentioned below:
- Unreserved candidates, NRI, foreign candidates Must have secured at least 45% in their qualifying exam and SC/ST candidates must have secured 40%.
- The candidates need to qualify in the entrance exam to secure admission for the BDS course. The most common entrance tests are AICET BDS, MU OET, NEET, AIPMT, DUMET, and COMEDK.
- The estimated course fee for BDS course is expected to range from 1 lakh to 12 lakhs. The course fees may vary depending upon the type of institute offering the course.